Monday, August 15, 2011

Goodbye Vietnam, Hello Laos!

I've made it to Laos! It's a shame that I had to leave Vietnam just when I was getting good at crossing the streets there. Crossing the street in Laos is like playing a real life game of Frogger. There are practically no crosswalks and even when there are red lights, they do not inspire cars and motorbikes to stop. The trick to crossing is to walk across at a slow steady pace so that the cars and motorbikes can swerve around you. This is harder than it sounds because when you get to the middle of the street and see a bunch of cars coming your way, all you want to do is sprint. I try to cross near older people who are also crossing because if theyve managed to stay alive for 80 years, then they're on to something.

On the flight to Luang Prabang, Laos, the in flight magazine had a page of Dos and Don'ts so that you do not inadvertently offend the locals. Some of the don't were expected: don't engage in public displays of affection, don't yell at the locals, don't dress like Christina Aguilera circa the Dirrrty music video. Other Don't were less obvious- women may never touch a monk; Touching anyone on the head, even a small child, is consideredv very rude; Anything involving feet is the ultimate evil. It is extremely offensive to prop your feet on anything, to motion with your feet towards anything, to touch someone with your foot, or to step over anyone who is seated on the ground. Naturally, my first day here, I managed to slice my toe on a rock. Good luck explaining to a pharmacist that your foot is bleeding without pointing to your feet.

When I got to customs, there was a sign requesting that women not go in with just bikini tops. I seriously want to know if this is a common problem. I've seen that sign all over Laos since then. I have so much to report on Luang Prabang, but I have to go catch a flight to Vientiane so it will have to wait. Until then, here are some pictures to tide you over.

Hue:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.876393837585.2352242.2407552&l=c4d5a94f32&type=1

Halong Bay:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.876395529195.2352244.2407552&l=b90d1baf07&type=1

1 comment:

  1. This comment had me laughing out loud - reminded me of China!
    "I try to cross near older people who are also crossing because if theyve managed to stay alive for 80 years, then they're on to something."

    ReplyDelete