Friday, September 23, 2011

Boracay

Boracay was an adventure. I arrived into Caticlan airport and then took a tricycle (a motorbike with a side cart), a ferry, and then another tricycle to reach Boracay. My favorite part of the tricycle ride was that the "slow, school zone" signs were placed in the middle of the traffic lanes rather than on the side of the road. This caused the cars and tricycles to have to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid the signs. Somehow they seemed to achieve this without actually slowing down. So much for that idea.

The first day, I went out diving to a shipwreck. I saw four purple pygmy seahorses! Then when we got back to the boat, it would not start. This was not surprising. The real surprise was that the rickety old wooden boat had ever started in the first place. Eventually, another equally unpromising looking wooden boat passed by and towed us back in with a plastic rope that someone on each boat held onto. Welcome to the Philippines...

The beaches in Boracay were stunning- beautiful white sand and clear water. Unfortunately, it is rainy season now so I spent the time split between the beach and the Starbucks when downpours started.

Manila airport is the worst. I had a 2 and a half hour layover and still barely made my flight to Taipei. Such a mess. You actually have to pay a taxi to switch terminals which are far apart and most taxis refuse to take you since they want to wait for a fare into the city. Disastrous.

Luckily, I made it to Taipei!

No comments:

Post a Comment